“The Founding Fathers gave the free press the protection it must have to fulfill its essential role in our democracy. The press was to serve the governed, not the governors. “ — Justice Hugo Black, New York Times Co. v. United States (1971).
We aim to tell the story behind the stories in politics, music, arts and entertainment. We aren’t afraid to challenge the powerful, push against the status quo and have become known for our stands on issues such as the Community Maritime Park, deaths in the county jail, BP oil spill and other environmental injustices. Our news articles and investigative reports have garnered awards and the attention of all the major news networks — nationally and internationally.
Our stories are presented with energy and enthusiasm — along with writing that’s thorough, thought-provoking and fun to read. We will make you laugh, curse and sometimes gasp, but you won’t want to miss an issue.
Weekly Circulation – print and digital versions: 20,000
Distribution Sites: 300 plus
Areas: Pensacola, Pensacola Beach, Gulf Breeze, Milton, Pace, and Navarre.
Percentage Read: 96% – most are picked up by Sunday morning
Print: 31,860; Digital version (complete issue, including ads): 3,984 Total: 35,844
The Independent News is owned by Inweekly Media. Rick Outzen, the paper’s publisher, owns 90 percent of the paper. The remaining 10 percent is owned by J. Collier Merrill, Ray Russenberger and Charles Emling, III, none of which own more than five percent of the stock. Outzen has complete control over the editorial and operations of the newspaper and its websites.
Who are our readers?
Our readers aren’t a vanilla kind of crowd. They’re dynamic, quirky, passionate, interested and involved. They represent and help shape the attitudes and values of this community.
THEY WORK HARD
They are smart. They are more likely to have four-year college degrees and advanced degrees. They have higher than average household incomes. They are more likely to be employed in professional/technical or managerial positions, and are more likely to own a business or be in an executive role.
THEY PLAY HARD
Our readers are active. They read a lot and travel, so you’ll find them on the beach with book in hand when they need to relax. They go to more concerts, go to more movies and eat out much more frequently than the average adult.
THEY SPEND HARD
Our readers are trend setters, early adapters. They are open to technology and to change. When compared to the average adult, our reader will buy more houses, cars, TVs, stereos, computers, and home furnishings during the next year. They’re your best customers.